Ironman USA Lake Placid # 2
Just Not My Day
I'm going to keep this short as I pretty much want to move on and put this race behind me .
Everything that led up to race day was great. Met up with some good friends Thursday,Friday and even early Saturday.
I felt very confident as I went to bed Saturday evening.
Race Morning:
Got down all my calories by 4 am. Arrived at bodymarking on time and got in the water with more than enough time to spare.
Out of the water in 1:22. Took it easy as I really wanted to keep my HR low going into T1.
Bike:
First loop was a little slower than I had planned due to 2 bathroom stops. One I was 3rd in line and all totalled I lost close to 8-9 mins because of this.
By mile 65 the sun was out and I could feel my stomach curdling and pushing the pedals became a big effort. All my power that I had all season just faded.
I hit the porta john again at the bike turnaround and by this time I knew it was going to be tough.
My first thoughts were to just suck it up, this is Ironman for Christ sake ! Back on the bike I dragged my butt back into town and considered not even running but I saw some friends and family so in a way that goosed me a bit.
Run:
First 5K actually felt decent, so I pressed on, but by mile 5 I had a bad case of the Big D. Damn !
I felt like a porta potty inspector. There was one that was sooo bad that I swear I almost passed out in there.
By the Mobil station I felt so dehydrated that I asked a volunteer about who to see to turn in my chip.
With a heavy heart I walked to the med tent and called it a day.
I don't regret the decision as I have a family to think about, and one never knows how bad things can get. I didn't want to find out.
I can't say I learned anything from this race other than the fact that there are simply some factors you can't control.
Things are good. I've taken the last week off from any training as I'm not even a bit sore or tired,more than anything I just wanted a break from it all.
It was great to meet Fefe and Chris G,MTLrunner,DawnT and my pal Rec10carbon.
Major props to Sheila and Kona Shelley for their solid efforts. You guys kicked ass and took names. Bummer that I didn't get to meet Shelley, maybe next time.
Peace!
Friday, July 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Hey..i'm sorry about your race, but I know some day i'll be in your shoes too..one thing I know for sure is that there's always another race just around the corner. Each and everyone of these things are a test and a learning experience. I'm so sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, I would really have liked that!!!
Take care and we MUST meet up at the next race!!!
Sorry to hear about your race. But it's best to play it safe and not end up dead. There's always next year....
Oh, man! Sorry about your race. Been there, done that. It make take awhile to process, even knowing you made the right decision. Be good to yourself. I hope you will at least come and cheer for us nutsos next year.
It was great to meet you and talk for the short time we had.
Peace out, and hope I see you in '08!
Post a Comment