
Agnes Martin
Still kinda in a funk, but today turned out to be fairly productive.While on a break from the action I watched a bit of the surfing competition at the X Games in Mexico, USA vs. the World. Awesome action. Whats his name scored a perfect 10, first time ever at the Xgames.
I wish I gave surfing more time when I was growing up in Cali.
In other news................I got my hardtail out of the barn where its been since I got
my K2 FS bike last year.
Thought I'd use it if I decide to do XTerra at the end of the month. I forgot how nice a bike it is, steel is real baaby!
One of the things I'd like to incorporate in my blog is a weekly mention of great art that I feel strongly about. Now some of you may not give a rats butt about art, but FWIW, if you give it some time it can really fill a void you might have.
This week I'm recommending the great American abstract painter Agnes Martin.
She was part of the New York Bowery scene of artists. Hung out with the likes of Motherwell,Rothko,Pollock,et al.
By the time her art took shape, she moved to New Mexico , out to the Bajada Mesa area where she painted in a modest house until she passed away 2 years ago.
Her work is all about minimalism. Repeating subtle patterns, as if she was searching for a DNA code in the way paint was worked onto canvas.
I can look at her work for days and always find some new pattern evolving and de-volving. Its very soothing and comfortable.


No comments:
Post a Comment