Tuesday, August 01, 2006



The Family Stone & Other Stories:


Todays blog entry is somewhat influenced by a movie I watched recently on DVD. The Family Stone with Diane Keaton, Sarah Jessica Parker,Craig T Nelson,Claire Danes and Dermot Mulroney.

What makes this movie appealing to me is how it makes having a disfunctional family a good thing . I am the eldest of 5 boys, and my wife is the youngest of 11 ! Yes 11 kids.

My father left my mother when I was already 30 . Rather late in life,but for some reason he needed to try a fresh start..........whatever that is. So he's pretty much out of touch with us, there's the once or twice a year call when he's in town. He's missed out on my daughters life for the most part. Its too bad because when she was a toddler, they were inseperable.

Now that my brother has a son, he's never met the little bugger,and probably never will.

When we get together for the holidays its nuts. Always a circus act, in a good way. We're scattered all over the country so logistics planning is at the level of Operation Desert Thunder.

The movie triggered so many emotions and memories of my childhood.

The above image is of my wife at 4 yrs old and me at 3. The other is at my daughters graduation.

Coming from big families its interesting how we opted for just 1 child ourselves. There are times when I wish the house was more full,but then again I also am a firm believer of faith,and thats the cards we were dealt , so thats what we embrace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very bizzare about your Dad, very late in life. Did he his Doc give him Viagra or something? It must have been sad for your mom too. Do you see him during the holidays too?

Cute pictures of you and your wife as kids. Your wife looks beautiful, even as a kid. Your daughter is stunning, braces and all. You will have to beat the young bucks off of her, I'm telling ya!